On Palm Sunday, April 1, 2007, Sr. Anne Thole, 35, died while trying to rescue patients from a hospital fire. The straw roof of Duduza Hospice caught fire from a suspected cigarette that had been discarded by one of the patients. The hospice served people living with AIDS in Santa Maria Ratschitz Catholic mission north of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
The nursing staff was able to save five of the eight patients from the inferno before Thole rushed back to save three other patients. Unfortunately, the straw roof fell in on them and killed the nun and the patients.