Be part of an award-winning team that covers the world from a unique perspective: through the mission, ministries and religious life of Catholic sisters. Global Sisters Report seeks a part-time digital / content editor to copy edit and post stories as well as write and schedule social media posts and marketing/promotion material for a new Spanish-language version of our award-winning website about Catholic women religious. Experience in copy editing in Spanish is required and experience with Drupal is preferred. This is a part-time contract position of 20 to 25 hours a week, which can be remote – including outside the U.S. -- or in person at the Global Sisters Report office in Kansas City, Missouri.
This editor would be part of a team of editors and translators for a Spanish-language version of Global Sisters Report. The content editor would be expected to:
- Copy edit stories in Spanish that the assignment editor/Latin America regional correspondent have edited, including photo captions and any other multimedia elements, and post them to the website.
- Do a final read-through of translated copy and help in posting to the website.
- Write and schedule social media posts for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok. Assist in assessing the most effective social media for a Latin American audience. Help manage a WhatsApp group and engage with audiences on these forums.
- Write marketing and promotional emails, advertisements and other related content for the new website and help distribute and place that content.
- Attend a weekly coordination meeting for the English/Spanish website editions and other meetings as necessary.
- Regularly and quickly respond to emails from inside and outside of the organization and to Slack messages from colleagues.
The ideal candidate has these qualifications:
- A bachelor's degree or higher in journalism, communications, or another applicable field.
- Three to five years copy editing in a media organization or comparable experience.
- Native fluency for Spanish and professional working proficiency for English.
- Expertise with Drupal or other content-management systems as well as AP style and/or the knowledge of other stylebooks. GSR uses AP style and Catholic News Service style
- Knowledge of the Catholic Church, especially Catholic social teaching, and familiarity with the roles and background of Catholic sisters.
- Proficiency in using Slack (or similar instant chat system) and Google Workspace.
Global Sisters Report, which began in 2014, has become an authoritative publication about Catholic sisters. It is a project of National Catholic Reporter, which was established in 1964 as an independent, lay-led publication focusing on the Catholic Church. More information about Global Sisters Report can be found here.
Please send a cover letter, resume, references and if possible, examples of stories you've edited (before/after preferred) to email@example.com by Jan. 9, 2023. All communications will be treated confidentially.
National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees. Reasonable accommodations or exemption will be considered for medical-related or sincerely held religious objections.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate in the hiring process on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, color, age, national origin/ethnicity or religion.